Monday, June 22, 2009

Margaret’s Moss Scarf.

This is a simple crochet scarf I made after I discovered the versatility and beauty of the crochet seed stitch (also known as moss stitch). I like that there are no obvious rows or lines as happens with single or double crochet. Switching them up in this pattern blurs the lines and produces a lovely thick fabric with a wonderful drape.

I whipped up four and stopped only halfway through the fifth, blue scarf. I guess at that point I was just spent. I used Lion's Brand CottonEase, but it should look great in any yarn. The IC Stone City Scarf uses seed stitch and Noro Kureyon sock yarn and it looks dreamy.

Moss Stitch Pattern:
Chain a multiple of 2 ch plus 1.
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook, dc in next ch, *1 sc in next ch, 1 dc in next ch; rep from * across. Ch 1, turn.
Row 2: *Sc in next ch, dc in next ch, rep from* across.
Repeat row 2 for pattern

Scarf:
One skein of Cotton Ease, cotton/acrylic, Aran / 10 ply (8 wpi).
Hook: 4mm/G.

Cast on loosely 21 stitches using the hook recommended for yarn or go up 2 mm in size. Otherwise the cast on will be too tight and the scarf will narrow at one end. Turn, make 1 sc into the second stitch from end and work in pattern to the end.
Work in pattern until scarf is 60“ or desired length, or until you just about run out of yarn.

Edging:
Rnd 1 (RS) Single crochet around evenly, making sure the work lies flat, working 3 sc in each corner, join rnd with a sl st in first sc.

Rnd 2 (WS). Do not turn, working from left to right (opposite from normal crochet) sc in each st around, join round with a sl st in first sc. Bind off.



Cut five 10” strands of the yarn. Attach a single tassel in one of the corners (Margaret’s trademark!)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for putting this pattern up. I have been looking at this pattern stitch for a while now, but couldn't quite figure out what the what it was from the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this stitch. It's beautiful! I have been trying to find a simple, yet fancy looking crochet stitch for a blanket. This is just what I was looking for. I love it!

    ReplyDelete